Innovative ideas for creating a skill-based career portfolio
For job seekers looking to provide tangible, easily accessible proof of their skills and accomplishments, a portfolio of careerrelated documents is fast becoming the essential tool. The Career Portfolio Workbook shows readers how to compile and organize a career portfolioone that is easy to review and quickly adaptable to specific interviews and circumstances.
The Career Portfolio Workbook provides job seekers of any profession or experience level with a powerful new weaponthe confidence and the material to promote themselves and their work to others. Its step-by-step process explains how to:
- Create a career portfolio of personal skillswhy, how, and what to include
- Target a career portfolio to specific needsa job interview, a performance review, or a career transition
- Prepare materials, based on more than 50 sample documentsand five complete portfolio samples
From the Back Cover
Your resume may have gotten you the interview, but a career portfolio will get you the job
Employers are interested in actions, not words. And a career portfolio shows them that you have the skills, talent, knowledge, and personality they want. With The Career Portfolio Workbook learn how to create a winning portfolio that will land you the mega-bucks job of your dreams.
No longer used only by creative professionals, a career portfolio is the tool to add to your career-search arsenal-whether you're looking for a new job, going for a promotion, changing careers, or seeking admission to college or graduate school. The Career Portfolio Workbook guides you step-by-step through the process of building a targeted collection of documents that provide employers with concrete evidence of what you've done in the past and what you can bring to their organization in the future. Based on extensive research with hiring managers and job seekers, The Career Portfolio Workbook demonstrates how a carefully considered and well-presented portfolio can best validate your skills and accomplishments and how it can be your most effective self-marketing device during the interview.
Win the competitive edge on your next interview with a commanding career portfolio that packs a punch. Complete with checklists, charts, and worksheets, The Career Portfolio Workbook covers:
- How a career portfolio is an effective tool for all professions
- What examples and documents to include in your career portfolio
- How to arrange your documents for quick and easy access
- Creating a portfolio quickly when you have limited time
- Selecting the right documents for each occasion
- How to use your portfolio during the interview to land the job
- Developing a resume you can use in conjunction with your portfolio
- Using your portfolio during performance reviews to get a raise or promotion
- Updating, maintaining, and improving your portfolio throughout your career
- And much more
Frank Satterthwaite, Ph.D., and Gary D. D'Orsi, Ed.D., M.B.A., are career coaches with Career P.E.A.K.S. LLC. They have taught their innovative approach to career portfolios to thousands at colleges, universities, businesses, and job-training programs around the nation.