Read It Yourself is a series of graded readers designed to give young children a confident and successful start to reading.
Level 1 is suitable for children who are making their first attempts at reading. The books are written in a very simple way using a small number of frequently repeated words. The sentences on each page are closely supported by pictures to help with reading, and offer lively details to talk about.
Read It Yourself Level 1
• Essential vocabulary for early reading
• Simple sentences
• Large clear type
• Repeated phrases
• Lively, humorous illustrations
• Close match between pictures and words
About this book
• The opening pages introduce some famous pirates.
• Every page starts with a repetitive phrase to help beginner readers to start the sentence confidently.
• Talk about the the labelled pictures which highlight important information. Labelled pictures are a feature of fact books.
• Some children find the concepts of history and time difficult to grasp. Try asking questions to help them. What did pirates wear then? What do we wear now?
• The practice of pirates burying treasure is largely myth although there is evidence of some pirates, such as William Kidd, doing this. Most pirates shared treasure.
• Use the question at the end of the book for discussion.
• Try using the simple index at the back of the book. We use an index to help us find the page of the topic we are interested in.