This is a very approachable introduction to the description and classification of the sounds of speech – not only the sounds of English , but all the various sound-types represented in the Chart of the International Phonetic Association (IPA) . Dr Ashby's friendly style leads the reader through homophones and homographs ,velars and alveolars , palatalization and nasalization , all with helpful practical examples and exercises .This book has rightly acquired a high reputation with teachers and learners of practical phonetics .
- helps develop the fundamental skills of the phonetician
- investigates the various aspects involved in the production of speech sounds
- uses data-based material to reinforce each new concept
- includes examples from a wide range of languages
- provides dozens of exercises with solutions and cross-references
- can complement existing course or textbook material