Welcome to The ELLIS Business Series™. ELLIS products combine the technology of computer assisted instruction with established instructional theories to produce the most innovative ESL program available. ELLIS products effectively utilize the computer for language learning, giving students realistic situations and the opportunity to play an active role in the learning process. Instructors can use this Instructor Guide as a resource tool. The Instructor Guide contains information and materials for each of the 12 themes in The ELLIS Business Series, and is divided into three main sections:
1. Scope and Sequence Charts, which provide immediate information concerning were Business Series teaches any item of instruction. The theme objectives show what is taught in Business Series. You may want to integrate the objectives of Business Series with those of any other curriculum materials your institution uses in addition to the ELLIS Business Series Learner Response Book.
2. Scripts give a complete text of Business Series’ lessons and show which words are highlighted for definitions or more information. Much like a textbook, ELLIS is a resource that can help you design and meet course objectives. The entire conversation script for each lesson is included in this manual. The scripts will help you plan your lessons in the following ways:
· · They include all the dialogue the learner sees from each lesson.
· · The same words that are highlighted on the screen are highlighted in this book. This means that you don't have to go to the computer to know what vocabulary words or grammar structures are taught in each lesson.
· · The scripts are organized in a user friendly format. Scripts are divided into themes. Themes have between 3 and 5 lessons. The scripts in this guide are marked as follows:
· · All vocabulary words are italicized.
· · All grammar structures are underlined.
· · All vocabulary phrases are bolded.
· · All pronunciation example words are in red.
· · At the end of each theme’s script are ideas for in-class activities, and activities the students can do outside of the classroom. Each lesson suggests practice activities for one or more of the following skills: grammar, communication skills, culture, or vocabulary items.
3. Answer Keys provide answers to all practice activities in the ELLIS Business Series Learner Response Book.
With the flexibility of ELLIS and the instructor’s familiarity with the needs of each student, learners will not be faced with instruction that is too far above or below their ability. For information on how to use the features on The ELLIS Business Series and Instructor Utilities, please refer to the
Installation and Implementation Guide.