This brand-new reference offers comprehensive yet succinct guidance on the preparation, assessment, and management of a full range of disasters, both natural and man-made (including terrorist attacks and the threat of biological warfare.) Dr. Ciottone - recognized worldwide as an authority in the field - carefully outlines the basics of disaster management, and provides guidance on more than 100 specific disaster situations.
Part 1 offers an "A-Z" source for information on every aspect of disaster medicine and management. Part 2 features an exhaustive compilation of every conceivable disaster event, organized to facilitate fast reference in a real-time setting.
The second part of the book also serves as a quick consult on disaster medicine.
* Presents a full range of coverage from the basics of disaster medicine to more advanced concepts, such as tactical EMS, hazard vulnerability analysis, impact of disaster on children, and more.
* Discusses identification of risks, planning of organization and equipment, and education and training.
* Includes individual Concepts and Events sections that provide information on the general approach to disaster medicine and practical information on specific disasters.
* Offers comprehensive coverage of natural disasters, accidental disasters, transportation disasters, and intentional events.
* Includes an exhaustive list of chapters on the conceivable chemical and biologic weapons known today.
* Features a practical chapter organization throughout that covers description of event, pre-incident considerations, post-incident considerations, medical treatment of casualties, unique considerations, pitfalls, case presentations, and suggested reading.