Using the hands-on workbook format that was so effective in her bestselling first book, Stand-Up Comedy: The Book, Carter offers a series of day-by-day exercises that draw on her many years as a successful stand-up comic and the head of a nationally known comedy school. Also included are practical tips and advice from today's top comedy professionals -- from Bernie Brillstein to Christopher Titus to Richard Lewis.
She presents the pros and cons of the various comedy fields -- stand-up, script, speech and joke writing, one-person shows, humor essays -- and shows how to tailor your material for each. She teaches how to find your "authentic" voice -- the true source of comedy. And, perhaps most important, Carter explains how to take a finished product to the next level -- making money -- by pitching it to a buyer and negotiating a contract.
- frame control (audience pressure)
- state management exercises (performance anxiety)
- tooling hecklers
- repeating and reworking old material
- audience calibration and leadership
- speaking dynamics (timing, rhythm, projection)
- developing and flexing your humor muscle
- comedic reflexes, structures, attitudes, and topics
- knowing when to quit before your value plummets
- routine transitioning
- prescence and flow when performing
- testing material and practicing performances
- rooting/anchoring material
- structuring funny stories
Written in Carter's unique, take-no-prisoners voice, The Comedy Bible is practical, inspirational, and funny.
Not registered yet? We'll like you more if you do!