This single-volume biographical encyclopedia offers fascinating coverage of notable American women who have been proven leaders and activists in both the political and social realms. Including women from a wide range of regions, time periods, and cultural backgrounds, A to Z of American Women Leaders and Activists features U.S. government officials, state and local officeholders as well as suffragist leaders, women’s liberation leaders, and leaders in other sociopolitical movements. Basic biographical information is included in each of the almost 150 entries, along with an in-depth analysis of each woman’s achievements and contributions. For anyone with an interest in women’s studies, politics and government, or the history of social activism in the United States, this one-stop resource includes suggestions for further reading and relevant websites.
* Anne Hutchinson: religious leader
* Sojourner Truth: abolitionist
* Dorothea Dix: mental health reform advocate
* Margaret Sanger: birth control pioneer
* Carrie Clinton Lane Chapman Catt: suffragist
* Jane Addams: founder of Hull House
* Juliette Gordon Low: founder of Girl Scouts of the USA
* Carry Amelia Moore Nation: temperance advocate
* Rosa Parks: civil rights activist
* Bella Abzug: congressional representative
* Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Supreme Court justice
* Ann Richards: governor
* Barbara Jordan: congressional representative
* Marian Wright Edelman: founder of the Children’s Defense Fund
* Faye Wattleton: president of Planned Parenthood
* Linda Chavez-Thompson: vice president of the AFL-CIO
* Wilma Mankiller: chief of the Cherokee Nation
* Urvashi Vaid: political activist.
Black-and-white photographs. Index. Subject indexes. Bibliography. Cross-references. Further reading lists.
Not registered yet? We'll like you more if you do!approved by stovokor