There are a lot of features here at Englishtips that may seem pretty obvious to our 'regulars', but may very well come as a surprise to those who haven't been around for so long. I have prepared a list of FIFTEEN Did-you-know's - hope you can find some of them useful!
1) All cover images on the main page will zoom in to the bigger picture if you click them.
2) You can change your email address, your password, hide your email from others, share your bookmarked Englishtips publications, and even specify your gender - all in your Profile (click "Options" there)
3) You can view the status of the publications you have submitted - in your Profile, too
5) If you have a website, you can present our updates to your site's visitors by installing one of our auto-updating widgets. More on this.
6) You can view only unread publications since your last visit by visiting this link.
7) Ever wondered about how many articles are there on Englishtips altogether? Or how many comments? How many thank-you's have the users said? Please visit our Stats page.
8) Did you know that you can sort the Englishtips articles just the way you like it? The following options are available: sort by date, by popularity, by most visits, most comments, or even alphabetically! Please click one of the "Sort by:" links above the first publication in any page. You can also search all publications with a specific keyword (tag) by replacing the last word in http://englishtips.org/index.php?do=tags&tag=tag with a single-word tag. For example, http://englishtips.org/index.php?do=tags&tag=catering.
9) Did you know that we have a daily mini-lesson with audio, quiz and concept questions? Please check this page.
10) Did you know that you can view all publications added on a specific day by clicking that day in the calendar in the right-hand panel?
11) Did you know that we pay $10 to our authors for each interesting article related to English learning? (currently only in Russian at the moment, we'll be extending the contest to English in the nearest future). Please view the contest rules here.
12) Did you know that Englishtips.org is maintained by a team of devoted individuals who put their efforts into the project - non-commercially, not being paid for this? The only profit this site gets is from advertising.
13) Did you know that you can subscribe to or unsubscribe from our weekly mailing list with links to the latest Englishtips.org publications at any time? There is an option in your profile for that, too!
14) Did you know that of you click any other user's nickname anywhere in the comments, it will bring up the following options: link to this user's profile, link to a new message to this user, and link to see all comments made by this user?
15) Did you know that there's a whole bunch of smilies that you can use in the shoutbox? Please find the list below:
1. Englishtips clock This can be seen in the top right corner, I am sure you have noticed it already :) It displays the so-called 'Englishtips time' - it will be useful for arranging chat meetings, making announcements about the deadlines for something, as well as for maintenance on/off periods.
2. Englishtips Tour removed We have removed the Englishtips Tour (step-by-step intro explaining site's features, that was previously located in the bottom right of the English version). One of our Trusted Contributors, Pumukl, has developed an amazing HELP section in the forum, which answers all possible usability questions and gives explanations of every site's feature. It has been informally referred to as 'Pumuklopedia', and I like this name very much :) If you haven't been there yet - visit it now, I am sure any user will benefit from checking it.
3. English forum got a new name The English section of the forum has been renamed to 'English Lounge' to make it visually different from the Requests section, as many new users were posting requests in the wrong section.
4. Download Agreement The text of the Download agreement is now displayed in EVERY publication of the site - even in those that do not have the 'I AGREE' button.
5. Spoilers You may have already seen this feature at some other websites. Well, now we got it, too! :) From now on you'll notice that when there is too much text, we have started hiding it in the collapsible box - you need to click it to view the contents. Saves space and looks good, too! This whole text is actually an example of a spoiler.
6. Numbers Now the Navigation bar on the left displays the number of publications each category contains. Even more - you can also see tiny '+' and '-' signs, which indicate that some new stuff has been added or removed to that category today. This feature is reset at 24:00 Englishtips time daily, and all publications added/removed after that time are considered 'new'.
7. Public Bookmarks If you go to anybody's profile now, you'll see a new feature there, which is called 'View all bookmarks' - you can actually see what Englishtips publications this user has bookmarked as 'Favorites'! Please remember, that other users can view YOUR bookmarks, too, If you're worried about privacy and have something to hide in your favourite publications, you can easily switch this feature off by clicking 'Options' in your profile and unchecking the box ' Share my bookmarks with other users?'
8. Gender Another feature added to your profile (click 'Options' to see it) - Your gender. We encourage you to indicate whether you're a man or a woman, so that other users know this :) If you prefer to stay 'neutral' - it's up to you, you don't have to do this at all! :)
You are welcome to give your thoughts about these new features in the comments below.
For six weeks , participants can engage with ESOL experts in collaborative, online discussion sessions or hands-on virtual workshops of professional and scholarly benefit. These sessions will bring together participants for a longer period of time than is permitted by the four-day land-based TESOL convention and will allow a fuller development of ideas and themes of the convention or of professional interest in general.
The sessions are free and open to all interested parties.
You do not need to be a TESOL member to participate.
Sessions are organized by TESOL'sCALL Interest Section and run wholly by volunteers who have donated their time to serve the profession.
In case you didn't know, millions of people are getting ready to celebrate a holiday on Dec. 25. It is called Christmas, but is also called Hanukkah for many... The very same day.
Call it a Judeo-Christian harmonic convergence. The eight-day celebration of Hanukkah begins just before 25 December, Christmas time.
It's a coincidence that could make the holidays a bit more hectic for interfaith couples, but which also ensures that both Christian and Jewish children get to play with their toys while on vacation from school.
Those holiday are coming just after the Muslim Eid feast.
Dearest Englishtips users! May you live long and prosper in peace and understanding.
Each one of us is a distinct entity, a precious stone in the Nature's safe. Let us be brothers and sisters, let us be - leaders in peace :)
On the behalf of the Crew: All the best, stovokor :)
So, you are learning English? We've got some good news for you!
Together with our friends from EnglishBaby we are presenting a FREE DAILY ENGLISH LESSON - right here, at Englishtips.org! The lesson contains some reading, some top-quality audio, audioscript and a little quiz to check your understanding. We hope you enjoy it!
Dear friends! As you know, our mailcast containing to the latest submitted materials and direct links to the publication is sent every weekend. In your profile page there is a little change now: new clickable line "Unsubscribe from our weekly mailcast with the latest publications and direct links to the articles" (or "Îòêàçàòüñÿ îò ïîëó÷åíèÿ åæåíåäåëüíîãî óâåäîìëåíèÿ î ïîñëåäíèõ äîáàâëåííûõ ìàòåðèàëàõ ñ ïðÿìûìè ññûëêàìè íà ïóáëèêàöèè." in the Russian version). Simply click it if you want to unsubscribe - anytime. Once you have clicked it, it'll change to the opposite - if at some time in future you change your mind and decide that you want to subscribe again - just click the ''Subscribe to our weekly mailcast with the latest publications and direct links to the articles" and you'll be receiving our mailcast again.