This new edition of How Your House Works uncovers the mysteries behind just about every major appliance and building element in your house. Clear "exploded" drawings show you exactly how these things should be put together and how they function—what to check if they don't work, and what you can do that might save you from calling in a professional.
The easy-to-understand pictures and explanations on every page get right to the point, helping you understand how things work, what can go wrong, and how to troubleshoot a problem.
Virtually everything in your house is included:
- Electrical – circuit breakers and grounding, service, outlets, lamps, and fixtures
- Heating and air conditioning – gas, electrical, and oil, ductwork and piping, thermostats, central and window AC units, humidifiers and dehumidifiers, and air filtering systems
- Plumbing – kitchen and bath fixtures, piping, water heaters, traps and vents, septic tanks, and pumps and water softener systems (even sprinkler systems and swimming pool filters/heaters)
- Major household appliances – from kitchen to laundry
- Foundation, framing, doors, and windows – including issues like drainage and radon, types of framing and how it supports the house, and all types of doors and windows
- Sustainability and beyond – covers sustainability and issues outside the house, as well as clock thermostats, ventless gas heaters, moisture and mold, and¿¿passive solar heating
This quick and easy guide will save you time and money, answer nagging questions, and help you keep your house running smoothly.