PTE Young Learners is designed to be interesting and fun for children and aims to make first experiences of learning English memorable and motivating.
There are four levels:
The test is created around the everyday adventures of the Brown Family.
Children are tested on their ability to use structures and functions in realistic contexts and, later on in the series, on their ability to use language to carry out specific communicative tasks.
Who is this test for?
This test is designed to motivate and reward young learners who have had exposure to English in an academic context and who are in advance of Firstwords. The aim is primarily to test the learners’ ability to use the language communicatively rather than to test their knowledge of the language system.
How is this test structured?
The test consists of a one-hour paper, which tests Listening, Reading and Writing. The tasks in the test feature the Brown family and include some of the following topics:
- The Body and People’s Appearance
The children will listen to two short passages and will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Listen to a conversation and draw a line from a name of a person or a thing to a picture of a person or thing.
- Listen to a conversation and put a cross (X) in the box under the correct picture for each question.
Reading and Writing Task
The children will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Read a short conversation and write in the missing questions.
- From two lists, match the words forming the start of a sentence with the words forming the end of the sentence by connecting them with a line.
- Put in the missing words in a short text by choosing the appropriate word from a list.
- Extended writing.
- Write short responses to given questions.
The children will be tested in class by an external assessor. They will be asked to participate in a board game and an individual activity.
There are Past Papers for
PTE Young Learners Springboard November 2009
PTE Young Learners Springboard 2006 Session 3
PTE Young Learners Springboard 2006 Session 2
PTE Young Learners Springboard 2006 Session 1
PTE Young Learners Springboard 2005 Session 2
PTE Young Learners Springboard 2005 Session 1