PTE Young Learners is designed to be interesting and fun for children and aims to make first experiences of learning English memorable and motivating.
There are four levels:
The test is created around the everyday adventures of the Brown Family.
Children are tested on their ability to use structures and functions in realistic contexts and, later on in the series, on their ability to use language to carry out specific communicative tasks.
This test is designed to motivate and reward young learners who have just started learning English in an academic context. It may be particularly useful for learners who have had to master the use of the Roman alphabet.
The aim is primarily to test the learners’ ability to use the language communicatively rather than to test their knowledge of the language system.
How is this test structured?
The test consists of a one-hour paper which tests Listening, Reading and to a small degree, Writing. The tasks in the test feature the Brown family and include among other related topics, the following:
- The Body and People’s appearance
The children will listen to two passages and will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Listen to a conversation and draw a line from a name of a person or a thing to a picture of a person or a thing.
- Listen to a conversation and put a cross (x) in the box under the correct picture for each question.
Reading and Writing Tasks
The children will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Matching questions and answers in a conversation by drawing a line between each question and answer.
- Matching sentences to pictures by drawing a line from each sentence to a picture.
- Matching pictures of objects to the word denoting the picture by drawing a line between them.
- Write the missing words in a short text by choosing the right words from a list.
The children will be tested in class by an external assessor. They will be asked to participate in a board game and an individual activity.
There are Past Papers for
PTE Young Learners Firstwords November 2009
PTE Young Learners Firstwords 2006 session 3
PTE Young Learners Firstwords 2006 session 2
PTE Young Learners Firstwords 2006 session 1
PTE Young Learners Firstwords 2005 session 2
PTE Young Learners Firstwords 2005 session 1