The Art of Reading
|Published by: susan6th (Karma: 3131.94) on 24 June 2013 | Views: 2752|
You definitely know how to read. But do you know how to read artfully? Unlike everyday reading, artful reading—the way we read novels and short stories—is less about reading for specific information and more about reading to revel in the literary experience.
It involves recognizing
* how a story's particular narrative style affects your connection with its characters,
* why authors choose to hint at meanings instead of just writing them out for you,
* how the organization of a novel into distinct chapters can affect your engagement with its plot, and much more.
When you approach a work of fiction the way you do an e-mail or report or newspaper, you miss out on all of this. You're not getting everything you should out of the reading experience. Learning the skills and techniques of artful reading can improve your life in many ways.
* If you're a fiction reader, they can make your first reading of a new novel or short story feel as rewarding as a second or third reading, and they can give you new perspectives on works you already cherish.
* If you're an aspiring writer, they can help you understand the methods that great writers use to tackle literary concepts—successful methods you can then apply to your own writing.
* If you're a book club member, they can enliven discussions and provide your group with engaging activities to create even deeper appreciations of the works you're reading.
* If you're a student, they can improve and enhance the close reading skills essential to success in high school, college, and beyond.
And the best part: These skills are not difficult or unwieldy; rather, they are well within your reach. According to award-winning Professor Timothy Spurgin, who has made a career of enlightening students about the benefits of artful reading, great readers are made, not born.
This idea forms the core of The Art of Reading, Professor Spurgin's entertaining 24-lecture course that brings together concepts and techniques rarely found in a single package. Teaching with an engaging and conversational style, he gives you the knowledge and methods to approach even the most daunting reading experience with increased confidence.
Dear User! Your publication has been rejected as it seems to be a duplicate of another publication that already exists on Englishtips. Please make sure you always check BEFORE submitting your publication. If you only have an alternative link for an existing publication, please add it using the special field for alternative links in that publication.
|Tags: reading, about, information, specific, revel, Teaching, Reading, literary