High-interest tasks support the development of receptive and productive skills while including critical listening and learning strategies.
• Real-life listening practice uses listening passages based on authentic sources.
• Starter Unit provides an overview of each book's listening skills and strategies.
• In Focus section offers opportunity for cultural comparison and personalization in each unit.
• Language boxes highlight key expressions related to each unit's topics and goals.
• Vocabulary and Expressions Glossary and Listening Skills Index are included at the back of each book for easy reference.
• Student Audio CD included in every Student Book for risk-free practice outside the classroom.
• ExamView CD-ROM Assessment Package allows teachers to customize mid-term and final listening tests.
Level elementary - pre-intermediate
Table of Contents:
Starter. Learning to listen
1. Pleased to meet you
2. This is my family
3. He's the one in the blue shirt
4. Do you like rock?
5. It's a really interesting place
6. This is where I live
7. Where is the furniture department?
8. Can you work weekends?
9. Where's the ferry terminal?
10. How does it work?
11. I usually get up at six
12. I'll have soup and a sandwich
13. He shoots, he scores
14. Do you want to see a movie?
15. What's the weather like?
16. How did you meet your wife?
17. Why don't we buy a new car?
18. She's kind of shy
19. Are you free on Tuesday?
20. How do you like to learn?
An English Tips exclusive! You won't find this anywhere else on the net, yet.
It's the first in a series of 3 books. This (1st) edition was printed (in 1997) for the SE Asian / Thailand market so, it's culturally relevant to these learners. Anyone can use it and benefit though. It covers a wide range of topics so I use it to teach secondary students and elementary - pre-intermediate level adults but, you have to pick and choose the right chapters for each. The audio is all American neutral accents, very clear and easy to understand and good for lower level students but, they won't get exposure to other English accents. Listening for specific information is difficult for ESL students and this book targets that weak area well.
Files are zipped and require the standard password for this site.
1) students book, answer key book, tapescripts book
2) audio 1 ( not divided into tracks)
3) audio 2 ( not divided into tracks)