* Concise, to-the-point compendium of information about casual pronunciation of English as compared to citation forms.
* Covers varieties of English language including General American and Standard Southern British.
* Overlaps the boundaries of several areas of study including sociolinguistics, lexicography, rhetoric, and speech sciences.
* Examines English pronunciation as found in everyday speech.
* Accompanied by website at http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/shockey/downloads.htm featuring examples from different accents, with downloadable material.