The book is written for students who need help doing their coursework and exams. It focuses on the skills and techniques that apply to essay writing and also covers other types of assignment such as posters, talks, PowerPoint presentations and web pages.
"How to do your Essays, Exams and Coursework in Geography and Related Disciplines" is written primarily for students taking courses in geography, but the principles that we emphasize apply equally to coursework and exams in many other subjects.
The book is written in an informal style intended to make it user-friendly to students who want to improve their work throughout their university career and beyond. The book can be used to look up answers to specific questions as well as being worked through section by section as coursework projects are tackled.
1. What is this book for, and how should I use it?
2. Why are there so many different types of assignment?
3. What are essays, and why do I have to write them?
4. What will the examiners be looking for when they mark my essay?
5. How do I choose which essay to attempt?
6. How do I get started on my essay?
7. How do I make sure I have a well-structured essay?
8. How do I produce a well-written essay?
9. What goes at the beginning of the essay? The introduction
10. What goes in the middle of the essay?
11. What goes at the end of the essay? The conclusion
12. How do I use references and write a reference list?
13. How do I use diagrams and other illustrations?
14. How much do things like layout, neatness and English matter?
15. How can I perfect my essay before I hand it in?
16. How should I handle exam essays?
17. How do I prepare a poster presentation?
18. How do I prepare and deliver a verbal presentation?
19. How do I prepare web pages and other types of presentation?
20. How do I work as part of a group?
21. Help! It’s all going wrong, what can I do?
22. A final word