The world's largest, most complete electronic dictionary of American English.
Over 315,000 entries, including hundreds of new terms, immediately accessible on a single compact disc.
Important Features Include:
* A brand-new eight-page New-Words Section in the front of the book, with over 1,000
important new words and meanings added at press time, not found in the A-Z
section--words like intranet, body piercing, soccer mom, and sport-utility vehicle.
* Over 315,000 entries
* 1,500 updated definitions and entries
* 2,400 spot maps and illustrations
* Scholarly, up-to-date etymologies, including dates to show when terms entered the
language, and showing clearly labeled Americanisms
* Entries for important and famous people; for places; historical events; major works of
literature, music and art; names and abbreviations of academic, governmental, social,
and fraternal organizations; popular given names; common abbreviations; and
* Entries and definitions for current place names, reflecting recent political and
geographical changes worldwide
* Coverage of major British, Canadian, and Australian terms
* Over 75,000 example phrases and sentences to show how words are used in context
* Metric equivalents for weight, volume, height, distance, etc., included in definitions
* Endangered species identified
* Comprehensive supplementary notes at many entries, discussing: usage problems
pronunciation questions, distinctions among synonyms, regional variations and
* Additional supplementary lists of synonyms, antonyms, words formed from common
* Valuable supplements to the dictionary included, in front and back matter
* Sound-spelling correspondences in English
* A Basic Manual of Style
* Guidelines for avoiding insensitive and offensive language in both writing and
* List of Words Commonly Confused
Microsoft Windows 98/Me/XP/2000/NT
Pentium II 233 or higher
64MB of RAM
Quad-speed CD-ROM Drive
Not registered yet? We'll like you more if you do!