The Routledge History of Literature in English - Britain and Ireland
This new guide to the main developments in the history of
British and Irish Literature uniquely charts some of the main features of
literary language development and highlights key language topics. Clearly
structured and highly readable, unlike traditional histories of literature it
spans over a thousand years of literary history from AD 600 to the present day.
It emphasises the growth of literary writing, its traditions, conventions and
changing characteristics, and includes literature from the margins, both
geographical and cultural.
Key features of the book are:
* an up-to-date guide to the major periods of literature in English in Britain
* extensive coverage of post-1945 literature
* language notes spanning AD 600 to the present
* extensive quotations from poetry, prose and drama
* a timeline of the important historical and political events
This will be essential reading for all students of English literature and
Not registered yet? We'll like you more if you do!